Initial Thoughts following Webinar

Webinar Reflection

Webinar Reflection

by Kimberly Tennant -
Number of replies: 2

The three ideas that stood out to me were:

1. Just as with print text, our students need to learn HOW to read digital text.

2. We need to provide a clear purpose for why our students are reading a particular digital text and show them the purpose of the three different digital texts presented.

3. We have to teach how to read digital texts much the same way we teach kids how to navigate print texts.  We model, provide guided practice and we show students how to select text based on their need or purpose.

It also made me think about how I used to shy away from having my ELA students read things digitally because I am a "paper and pencil" teacher.  I would get frustrated at students' abilities to use social media but they were not able to get information for school.  I worked with our teacher-librarian to teach kids how to not only FIND information, but to analyze it, discern whether it was credible and to USE it properly.  But  I did not teach them how to READ it.  That would be something I would do differently.

In reply to Kimberly Tennant

Re: Webinar Reflection

by Anne Tretter -
I also would shy away from giving students digital material. I assumed that because they could navigate social media and find information  they could read and understand it. Now I know better about what was going on with them and I will teach them the skills they need.
In reply to Kimberly Tennant

Re: Webinar Reflection

by Molly Berger -
Teaching them to find, analyze and discern is fantastic!