Initial Thoughts following Webinar

Video Reflection

Video Reflection

by Erica Browitt -
Number of replies: 1

Thank you for this wonderful course! Here are the thoughts that are sticking with me.

1. That survey really got me thinking - most of our students do most of their reading digitally/online, and yet they don't have great skills when it comes to that type of reading. Something that we need to address. We need to explicitly help students develop and use useful reading skills for online reading. 

2.  Some of the research indicated what I am finding to be a really interesting dichotomy. Students don't take online reading as seriously because their  phones and computers are considered a place for fun. The structure also lends itself to something that is not quite so serious, like Facebook and other social media platforms. Yet, they take what they see there as fact. They take it to be completely true. So, they don't treat it seriously enough to slow down and really read through it using notes, and what not. Yet, what they read they instinctually take for fact it seems 

3. I wonder what kind of chart or checklist we can create for students so that they can be cognizant of what kind of online text they are working with. Is it sequential, like a Kindle, is it interactive? Is it long, medium, or short form? How is it being presented to us? What is our setting? The language of surfing and stumbling is very powerful. A book does not "accidently" lead you to a youtube video, which leads you to a blog, which leads you to something else. " How do you determine how you will read? How do you know how you read best? How do you make sure you are reading at your best?" Great questions to give students to use. 

4. I like the idea of having students put the standards into their own words - hopefully help them analyze and understand what they really need to do when they read, for every kind of text. 

5. I'm trying to think of ways that I can just weave in comparing and contrasting print vs digital text conversations when teaching reading and writing strategies. Just make that part of the routine, and hopefully that will be engrained for students as well - every time they go to a text they can think about strategies and know which version they need to apply. Adding to that, when to click, when not to click - extension of skimming or deep reading. And having to create their own online text helps them understand the author's purpose as they become the author

In reply to Erica Browitt

Re: Video Reflection

by Kristine Barratt -
The survey was incredibly enlightening for me, too! I hadn't thought about some of those questions before, but they are important questions to think about for our kids. I also noticed that strange dichotomy between digital reading and fact. We live in interesting times!