Initial Thoughts following Webinar

by Margaret Lester -
Number of replies: 1

Ideas that stood out:

1. It was briefly touched upon, but the idea that for students digital texts provide a level of anonymity. As a middle school teacher, I can provide differentiated reading options without drawing attention to those differences. The impact on students for this is that they are being met where they are at academically without negatively impacting social/emotional needs.
  2. The idea that a mindset for approaching digital text should be taught. If students primary use of devices in the past has NOT been academic or has not been for reading, going into a reading task may be more challenging. Teaching them strategies to help them--minimizing other windows, zooming in on webpages, using the FireFox reading view tool--will have a positive impact on their ability to comprehend text. It is important for digital spaces to be thought out and curated for reading, just as physical spaces are.
  3. Posing the question back to students are say that don't get what they are reading. "What are you going to do about it? What are you going to do to make sure you are understanding?" Helping students build a 'toolkit' of reading strategies to help them find the one that works best for them.

Questions I am wondering about: there is still so much debate over digital vs paper texts...there are so many tools and supports for digital reading but I also personally feel the benefits for myself on paper. Is there continued research? How does that change across age groups?

In reply to Margaret Lester

Re: Initial Thoughts following Webinar

by Molly Berger -
Research is ongoing. I will post new research as I find it. I agree with your thinking on mindset and posing the question to the students
.We need to teach students to be flexible in their approach to learning and determine what works for them.